In a departure from my normal “What Happened Today” history posts, I’m trying something new: a little quiz.
Which famous building was dedicated on this day in 1911?
– Located in the Northeastern United States.
– The largest marble structure ever constructed in the United States.
– President Taft presided over the dedication.
– Cost $9 million to design and build (in 1911 dollars), most of which came from a variety of donors.
– 40,000 people visited the building the day after its dedication.
– The building is still in use today – and still used for its original purpose.
Do you know “who” we’re talking about?
The answer is in the comments.